Hello friends and family
Last Sunday was another glorious hot day and I took Daniel to the bus stop after lunch. He was a great help and left with the list of jobs back to a manageable size! On Monday morning Michelle and Charlie did their last feed before their holiday. They have been a great help, and fun as well. Anne joined our working bee on Tuesday, and we showed her the way we do beach searching and hope she will keep an eye on the Moeraki beaches.
I went to town on Wednesday and noticed how dry North Otago was looking. On Wednesday night we got 7 mm of rain and I swear the place greened up a bit. It meant the penguins did not need a clean on Thursday morning so Jan, Robbie, Anne and I were able to get onto the rounds and then start on the upgrade of the soft release pens. We found 3 more trapped ferrets and picked up 3 underweight adult YEPs with feather damage.
During the week we got the results of our last round of blood tests back and the Fiordland Crested penguin has a blood infection called Leucocytozoon. This is transmitted by sandflies. After consultation with Ralph, the international vet expert, we are trialling a course of Malarone which has had some success in parrots. Most Fiordland Crested penguins have this disease and it is only of concern when they are stressed by moulting or starvation – our penguin has both.
Monday was a red-letter day – not only Gavin’s birthday, but the day I signed up for a new house on the Hampden section. It means that I will have to do some work there to knock the section into shape. It will be a wonderful home and I will rent it out for the foreseeable future. I have been surprized at how quickly Genius Homes have got on with the job – the permit is already lodged with the Council and I can follow progress through an online app.
Elaine came out yesterday and we did the rounds, picking up a juvenile heading into the moult. He was rescued as a chick from the Catlins and has survived!
Have a great week!