Hello friends and family
Elaine and Hiltrun came out on Sunday and began the habitat upgrade at the Moeraki colony. This involves clearing up fallen trees and keeping access for penguins and humans open – The key piece of equipment is a chain saw!
On Monday I used up all the scrap netting that had accumulated over the summer and made enough tree circles to protect all the trees planted so far. On Tuesday, Robbie cut another 50 and so we will clip them up and hopefully be able to stay ahead of the planting! Later in the day, Kristina and Thomas brought two of our chicks home, that had floundered north of Christchurch. Both chicks were in excellent condition, so on Wednesday morning we took them to soft release where they will stay for a few days to orient themselves before re-joining the local flock.
Michelle and Charlie came and watered the trees as the big dry continues. Elaine collected 50 Narrow-leafed Olerias from the nursery in Dunedin for planting in the most exposed spots. I spent Thursday morning at a video conference about the most recent penguin season. This was quite exhausting, trying to do the best for the penguins. It was a relief to spend a few hours afterwards, planting trees!
On Friday I went to town early and then had a video conference with the AAPK (American association of Penguin Keepers). This one was on Zoom, and by blocking their video and sound, I was able to talk to about 25 people from all over the states. We have seen videos on Facebook of penguins walking around in empty zoos. These are challenging times for the whole world.
Yesterday Hiltrun and Elaine continued with their colony clearing and I walked the coast. 4 of our chicks have been found so far, and if any more need a hand, we have to keep looking to find them!
Have a great week!